Saturday, May 24, 2008

kids, make your own breakfast

hmmm... what can I make with barbecue sauce, peanut butter, and some lemon juice?


filipino-american



me: 'AJ, what do you want for breakfast?'
AJ: 'whatever you want to cook me!'
me: 'ok, do you want scrambled eggs or sunny side up?'
AJ: 'uhmmm.. scrambled'
me: 'ok, do you want to help me cook it or i'll cook it'
AJ: 'uhmmm.. you cook it'
pause
AJ: 'I want to cook it!!'




Advice from therapists, parenting magazines, and stuff from AJ's school taught me that just doing activities with AJ will help develop his communication skills. So once in awhile, I let him help me cook or bake.

scrambled eggs:
1 pat of butter (set aside)
2-3 eggs
salt /pepper
milk

crack eggs into bowl. beat eggs. add salt and pepper (i let him shake the shakers 2-5 times). add milk ( more than a dash but not more than 1/4 cup) - heard it makes your eggs fluffier. beat eggs again.
I tell AJ to go watch his cartoons.
place pan on stove - medium heat. no reason for high heat unless you're my mahal and you don't mind setting off the fire alam. add butter. add eggs. when eggs are done, scoop scrambled eggs in bowl (leave some in pan for daddy) with rice. add banana ketchup and regular ketchup. mix...eat...enjoy!