Monday, October 8, 2007

The Promise

I'm not the most religious or spiritual person but I believe in God. I like being a Catholic even though I don't follow all the dogmas or doctrines. I will tell you that I am a cheaster (a non practicing catholic who goes to church on christmas and easter).

If I forget all the words that my mom told me... I will still remember that she told me "Prayer is powerful, anak... so please pray."

I know this even though I don't always heed her words. but for my family...for my kids .. I pray.

Have you ever felt the power of prayer?

I must have been in my early 20's or late teens when my mom said "come on, let's go to hillside" I heard about the cemetery in hillside... where there was an image of the virgin mary on a tree. Cool...so I went ...just to drive my mom of course. I didn't expect that there would be people there but there was... different cultures..different backgrounds. Then, we all gathered to pray together. I don't remember exactly what was the prayer but I remember the feeling I felt as we prayed. I thought it was amazing that all these people (who didn't know each other) were praying... together. I started crying because I was touched. I was moved. Crying because what I felt was a goodness. what a pure love I felt.

I went to my friend Cindy's church a couple months ago (when I was pregnant) to check it out. I went by myself because if I waited for my mahal... I would still be procrastinating. The priest invited us to hold hands as we sang the Our Father - I started crying as we sang and I couldn't stop. just a simple Our Father that the parishioners take for granted because they probably come to church every Sunday.. for me - I felt as if God was telling me ...welcome home, it's been a long time since I've seen you.

I believe the prayers that were prayed for AJ since he was born has helped him. Prayers are positive thoughts... positive energy. So even if you don't believe in praying... your good thoughts did help us. I am so thankful also that my prayers are not always about asking for help. I pray to also let Him know that we give thanks for all that we have been given and all that has been done for us.

So... when I was pregnant with Jasmine, I prayed and I promised that I would bring her to Holy Hill.. to say thank you.