Tuesday, July 3, 2007

July 3, 2007 Tuesday

0930 am: John Michael came to stay with me and AJ till Joe was free from work. Thank you John Michael!!

1345 pm: non stress test done at the doctor's office. Dr. Swedo says, "do you know you are having irregular contractions?" My response: "Oh? ...really?"
I told the doctor I had some gas pain last night but that was it. I had same type of pain last week which stopped with movement ...and a bowel movement.
yeah yeah... I'm a nurse but I haven't worked bedside for awhile, ok?
We planned a scheduled induction of labor for thursday July 5th.

1430 pm: Chipotle- chicken bol w/black beans, mild salsa, cheese, and sour cream. yum.

1700 pm: starting to have lower abdominal pain which seems to have a pattern? hmmm... maybe I should start timing these.

1900 pm: lower abdominal pains coming approx every 10 minutes... but not too bad. pretty much tolerable. hmmm...maybe I will have this baby on July 4th instead of the 5th.
(take note: I am in denial that I am actually starting to labor. I have always had a tendency to understate the status of my health... and I seem to have a high pain tolerance. Example- I had a wisdom tooth taken out in the 2nd trimester of this pregnancy; took a couple regular tylenol and was back to work the next day.)

2030 pm: hmm.. contractions about 6-8 min a part. Mama Auring calls- says she is coming over with Kuya Bernard right now. conversation: "Ma, I think I am going to call the hospital right now...you can come over but I don't know if we will be here."
Mama Auring is saying something to me but... "Ma, I am going to call the hospital...I think I'm going to the hospital.... I'm GOING to the hospital...will call you later. love you BYE."

2040 pm: doctor returned my page.." ok, come the hospital..let them know your coming." I called the hospital and we are ready to go. Mama Rosie calls, "Bernie, your mom called me and said you are going to the hospital, we'll meet you there."

2050 pm: AJ has to go to the bathroom. I offer to help put back on his underwear and shorts but... "No thanks Mommy, I can do it myself." I'm thinking... this is not the time for some independence but I patiently wait for him to do it himself.

2057 pm: we are driving on county farm road when a severe contraction hits- Joe is talking to me but takes me a while to respond as I focus on breathing through the pain. (hmmm.. so that's what the pregnancy books meant when you know a real contraction versus a false one...I had said previously that I would and could drive myself and AJ to the hospital if I actually went into labor...where did that crazy talk come from?)

2101 pm: another contraction hits as Joe drops me off at the hospital lobby (contractions 4 minutes apart... yikes! Epidural..here I come).
Front desk person says with concern in his eyes, "labor & delivery is up the elevator on the 2nd floor... would you like a wheelchair ?"
I said,"No thanks...just had a contraction so I'm fine." I get to my hospital room by myself.

2130 pm: contractions getting more severe and closer together. the nurse is telling me to breathe in..breathe out through your mouth.. good job. (I've said this to many patients when I worked in the hospital... now it sounds like gobbly gook/crazy talk because I sure am having a hard time figuring out how to breathe with this intense pain).
Doctor comes in and checks me out. "I hear you want an epidural." My reply, "yes, doctor."
Doctor says, " The anesthesiologist is finishing up a c-section.. so let's check you out and see from there. Doctor checks me ...."your cervix is obliterated..the head is down. we don't have time for you to have an epidural...you're going to go natural."
My reply," Oh shoot, I should have called you earlier."

2156 pm: baby Jasmine Lea Yee made her debut.