Sunday, February 10, 2008

got milk?




did I blog about breastfeeding? can't remember- mommy amnesia.
some people are against women breastfeeding in public. ok naysayers.. do you know how much courage it takes for a women to bare her breast to nurture her child while making sure no nipple is showing ...as well as a lot of acrobatic moves?

Does breastfeeding hurt? if baby latched on right- it didn't hurt for me.

Breastfeeding for me was a love-hate relationship. I nursed AJ for about 6 months - when he came home, I was very adamant about breastfeeding before giving the bottle...even when everyone else said ...'Bernie, are you sure you are making milk? I don't think you are making milk- you better just give a bottle' but I persevered. he didn't get much pumped milk - I could never produce enough to fill a bottle. but I made sure every night I put him to my breast ...then I followed up with a bottle.

I remember one of his first surgeries - he couldn't have anything to eat/drink and he was crying in my arms. I was trying to figure out how to soothe him - then one of the nurses pointed out to me that he could smell my breastmilk because he was nuzzled against my chest. My body was responding to his cries .. my shirt and bra soaked from the breastmilk.
I remember crying in the shower when I realized that I couldn't produce any more milk. Such despair ; I felt failure for not being able to provide this type of nourishment for him. I had even bought Fenugreek because I read that it would help me make milk.
Now... with baby Jasmine- I was ready to stop breastfeeding at 3 months. I wasn't sad because I gave myself permission to stop breastfeeding.

as shania twain has sung... 'Man, I feel like a woman!'